Military Dictatorship USA wherein we find the following interesting statements:
"We usually think of a nation being controlled by a military dictatorship when a military leader seizes control through a putsch, as in the case of General Pervez Musharraf in Pakistan or Saddam Hussein in Iraq. The previous government is overthrown and a military strongman places himself in power with few if any constraints from judicial or legislative oversight.
"But we must look for the essence of a military dictatorship, those features which are present whenever this form of oppression occurs. In essence, a military dictatorship is a form of government in which absolute power is concentrated in a repressive ruler or a small clique who use military and police power to dominate the people mentally and physically.
"Taking this definition as our touchstone, in the United States we know we're living under military dictatorship when we see:
- disaster aid deliberately withheld by White House and Pentagon to impose unfettered military control
- a leader retaining power through stealing the election of 2004 and put into power in 2000 by a coup d'etat, not through democratic elections
- the military used to control the civilian population in violation of the U.S. Constitution
- the president ordering a US citizen held indefinitely by the military (Jose Padilla)
- a shadow government being set up consisting entirely of executive branch officials in violation of the Constitution
- government informants spying on fellow citizens
- the highest amount of government funds going to military initiatives:
- taxpayer money being used to subsidize and fund domestic and foreign "defense" corporations
- taxpayer money being used to subsidize and fund domestic and foreign military operations: wars, embargoes, training, etc.
- a dictatorial ruling clique creating unnecessary, homocidal wars as a way of remaining in power
- the spread of militaristic values and the increasing power of the military in our society
There's more at the link.
Post a Comment