Search This Blog

Thursday, January 12

The Crying Rooms...

Remember those? The ones in the back of the church come to my mind. I figured out early on that this is where you go if you were being "bad" in church -- if you couldn't sit still, couldn't stop talking, couldn't stop crying or SCREAMING -- your parent would whisk you down the aisle and straight into that see through smoky glass room before a blood vessel popped.

Well now, it appears that an elementary school around my neck of the woods have a few of what we now call 'scream rooms'

You all know how passionate I am about education, and what a huge advocate I am for teachers. All my issues lie with the "Central Office" (the status quo). Over the past 20 years I have pretty much been in one of my kids schools on a daily basis as a parent volunteer (room mother, etc..) so when I read this story, it really made me bounce off the walls. I started following it on the hartford courant Facebook blog yesterday, pretty much sitting on my hands the whole time -- remembering that if I added my comment/opinion, whatever -- there's my name and there's my completely unfiltered response:

"I'll be right down with some padding for the walls -- problem solved!" thought I'd piss too many people off though (like I should care?!)

Then I contemplated responding: "kinda like the crying room concept in the back of the church -- I'll be right down with a crew to take down one of the walls and put up a window" -- thought that would be too snarky (like I should care?!!)

Then after reading the few comments at the hartford courant link above, (especially by one michael brown):

"Fire Superintendent Michael Frechette for failing to maintain humane conditions in the school system. Fire every teacher that used these rooms and those that knew and failed to report it. It's complete BS that an issue isn't addressed until it hits the news. Congratulations Middletown, you're in the national news now for your treatment of the children under your care. Before the excuses start flying, let's make it clear that teachers in CT make above the national average for pay yet work several less months per year than the rest of us."fire the the teachers"

I thought about replying to him with this link -- Are You Tired of Highly Paid Teachers?

Teachers' hefty salaries are driving up taxes, and they only work 9 or10 months a year! It's time we put things in perspective and pay them for what they do - babysit!
We can get that for less than minimum wage.
That's right. Let's give them $3.00 an hour and only the hours they worked; not any of that silly planning time, or any time they spend before or after school. That would be $19.50 a day (7:45 to 3:00 PM with 45 min. off for lunch and plan-- that equals 6 1/2 hours).
Each parent should pay $19.50 a day for these teachers to baby-sit their children. Now how many students do they teach in a day...maybe 30? So that's $19.50 x 30 = $585.00 a day.
However, remember they only work 180 days a year!!! I am not going to pay them for any vacations.
LET'S SEE....That's $585 X 180= $105,300 per year. (Hold on! My calculator needs new batteries).......

I am so supportive of teachers because I wouldn't touch that job today for ten times their salary. Besides, they wouldn't hire me -- I would be a huge liability. I'd have the kid in the corner with a big dunce cap on.

You all know I also have A LOT OF ISSUES with parents who can't seem to do their half in providing the other half (the teacher) with a ready, willing and able child.

It's like those parents who brought their kids to church even though they weren't ready to sit still -- there lies the problem.
I hope they can come to some middle ground here in Middletown, CT.

No comments: