Search This Blog

Thursday, September 30

September Song, by Jeff Lynne

A sad but oh so beautiful song.

I intended posting this song September 1st. Good goddess above where DOES the time go. I've heard that time passes even faster the older you get. I wonder then why my kids are always commenting on how fast their weeks fly by. I remember when I was a kid that some days seemed to last forever. I guess back then (the 60's and 70's) we weren't as busy as the kids are now. I think we had more fun though. Not sure how I'd explain the old saying "Time flies when you're having fun".


My favorite version of this song is by Jeff Lynne -- leader of my ALL TIME favorite group ever -- ELECTRIC LIGHT ORCHESTRA.
(I do love all of the other versions too)
This is off his first solo album from 1990...


September Song Is an American pop standard composed by Kurt Weill, with lyrics by Maxwell Anderson, introduced by Walter Huston in the 1938 Broadway musical Knickerbocker Holiday.

Knickerbocker Holiday is both a romantic comedy and a thinly veiled allegory equating the New Deal of Franklin D. Roosevelt (whose ancestor is one of the characters on the corrupt town council) with fascism. As is apparent from the preface he wrote for the play, as well as the play and the songs themselves, Maxwell Anderson was a pacifist and an individualist anarchist. He saw the New Deal as another example of the corporatism and concentration of political power which had given rise to Nazism and Stalinism.




TIME IS MONEY
Ben Franklin was the first person to use the same "time is money." In 1748 he published "Advice to a Young Tradesman" where he said, "Remember that time is money. He that idly loses five shillings' worth of time loses five shillings, and might as prudently throw five shillings into the sea," according to a publication titled "A History of Money."


That explains a lot.

No comments: