Search This Blog

Monday, April 12

another one of those "studies" This time about spanking

Study: Spanking Kids Leads to More Aggressive Behavior

Excerpt

The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) does not endorse spanking for any reason, citing its lack of long-term effectiveness as a behavior-changing tactic. Instead the AAP supports strategies such as "time-outs" when children misbehave, which focus on getting kids to reflect on their behavior and the consequences of their actions. Still, as many parents can attest, few responses bring about the immediate interruption of a full-blown tantrum like a swift whack to the bottom.

Now researchers at Tulane University provide the strongest evidence yet against the use of spanking: of the nearly 2,500 youngsters in the study, those who were spanked more frequently at age 3 were more likely to be aggressive by age 5. The research supports earlier work on the pitfalls of corporal punishment, including a study by Duke University researchers that revealed that infants who were spanked at 12 months scored lower on cognitive tests at age 3. lots more of the study at this link

My experience: Spanking and yelling was ineffective when I was growing up. It just taught me to be more careful about getting caught and did nothing to curb any rebellious behavior. My mom was spanked often and then she grew up and spanked us kids repeatedly (so she fits the study). I did not turn out to be physically aggressive at all after years of being smacked and yelled at. I vowed to never spank my son and I never did. My husband was never spanked and yet he spanked our son a few times to my great dismay.

Were you spanked? Did you spank your kids? What do you think?

No comments: