(humming the theme to Deliverance)
Remember all those futuristic movies where the government dictates everything you should read or think or believe? Texas is getting there quickly.
The board has been working on social studies of late and this is what they have come up with from THink PRogress
– To avoid exposing students to “transvestites, transsexuals and who knows what else,” the Board struck the curriculum’s reference to “sex and gender as social constructs.”
– The Board removed Thomas Jefferson from the Texas curriculum, “replacing him with religious right icon John Calvin.”
– The Board refused to require that “students learn that the Constitution prevents the U.S. government from promoting one religion over all others.”
– The Board struck the word “democratic” from the description of the U.S. government, instead terming it a “constitutional republic.”
From C&L, another summary about future Texas public school graduates:
- They don't know who Thomas Jefferson is and why he's significant, but they do known who John Calvin is and believe he was instrumental to the formation of our nation.
- They believe the terms church and state are interchangeable.
- They do not believe in evolution as fact, but are inclined to embrace creation theory or intelligent design as the explanation for how the universe came into existence.
- They believe the right to bear arms is a first AND second amendment right granted by the Constitution. (see 11:12 entry)
- They do not understand the term "democracy", but can define "constitutional Republic" and apply it to the American system of government.
- They don't know that the United States Constitution bans placing one religion over others.
- They can name at least three pro-free market factors contributing to European progress in medieval times.
- They cannot define capitalism, but are completely familiar with the idea that taxation and government regulation inhibits free enterprise.
- They ignore Hispanics and their role in various historical events in the United States, such as the Alamo.