Search This Blog

Friday, February 12

Why isn't President Obama listening to Elizabeth Warren??

I. just. Don't. Get. It. I've been listening to her concerns as one of the members of the TARP/Congressional Oversight Panel since Harry Reid appointed her over a year ago (maybe there's 'something about harry'?). She makes complete sense, yet her dire warnings are paid no heed by our President. So, are Obama's hands tied? Is he really beholden to the bankers? I'm thinking yes -- unless he's got another slap down in the works and is just waiting for the right time to bring them all down. I'm really trying to be patient with him. It's very frustrating. I can't wait to see what happens to his administration's Consumer Financial Protection Agency (CFPA) (I have a feeling Dodd will be making boatloads of money as a lobbyist for the banking industry since he's not running for re-election.) Here's a great piece from Baseline Scenario about the CFPA and how the banking lobby plans on killing it in the Senate: Elizabeth Warren Calls Out Wall Street

Check out Warren's appearance on MSNBC's Morning Joe yesterday (via RealClearPolitics): Elizabeth Warren: Financial System Using Wrong Rules A MUST WATCH (she actually raised her voice!)


I also happened to catch her on Fox & Friends (I was channel surfing) yesterday morning. I wish I could find the video. She warned of the impending smaller bank's vulnerability to commercial real estate failures and that from now through 2014, $1.4 trillion in commercial real-estate loans will be coming due and that many of those loans are for properties that are now worth substantially less. The evil Steve Doocy quickly segued that statement and made her admit that most commercial lending is through smaller COMMUNITY BANKS. So much for the "Move Your Money" movement - eh? I never saw such a perfect set up in my life.


This house of cards we call America must fall. In the long run I think it will be in our own best interest, and in the short run very painful but worth it.


Nature shows that with the growth of intelligence comes increased capacity for pain, and it is only with the highest degree of intelligence that suffering reaches its supreme point.
~Arthur Schopenhauer


Now, let's find an appropriate video for this post.....


(lyrics)

A fantastic write up about this song and video from Gong Szeto:


.....a wealth of opinions from Radiohead fans around the world about what the lyrics meant. I am admittedly one of those people who likes to read movie reviews after I see something, especially when I can't rightly articulate myself why I liked or disliked something. I would say categorically established fan opinion agreed the song was about love, but a few voices made compelling arguments that the song was about....capitalism. Pretty cool because this is an important theme for me of late. Whether or not you are in a visual or textual medium, metaphor can be powerful especially if used deftly. I honestly think all the song's references are indeed metaphors for the illusory structures that we experience in capitalist society, and the song concerns itself with our own state of being in an environment that is tenuously anchored in symbols and a relativistic moral framework...a framework as solid as a "house of cards".

The song's refrain, "Denial, denial, denial" repeatedly echoing Radiohead's pretty explicit statement that we as a society just don't have a clue that all that is solid in modernity, really just continually melts into air. And this metaphor is rendered in a not so metaphorical way in the video's many scene cuts to a mundane ranch house suburb, houses quite literally disintegrating into digital dust, blown away by virtual wind.

No comments: