Search This Blog

Monday, February 22

Watching the Middle Class Fade Away

If you've been watching the tv news, you'd think that the stimulus money went to complete waste and that it was the very worst idea to ever come from Washington. You've got Faux News watchers bashing the stimulus and complaining about how it hurt them personally and how their taxes went up (their taxes actually went down).

Turns out that more than a hundred of those obstructionist Republicans who bashed the stimulus have sought or are seeking money. In fact it has done wonders for creating jobs in their states. Wasn't that what it was supposed to do? These people are freaking unbelievable.

Arnold Schwarzenegger gladly accepted stimulus dollars for California and was able to save over 150,000 jobs. He is the only Republican to come out and call his colleagues out on their hypocrisy.

"Well, you know, to me I find it interesting that you have a lot of the Republicans running around and pushing back on the stimulus money and saying this doesn't create any new jobs," said Schwarzenegger. "Then, they go out and they do the photo ops and they are posing with the big check and they say, 'Isn't this great?'"
While that's all well and good that jobs are being created for some. It certainly isn't enough. Millions of Americans are out of work and it may take years for them to become gainfully employed again. The NY Times calls them The New Poor.

It's recommended that you read THE NEW POOR--Millions of Unemployed Face Years Without Jobs
Call them the new poor: people long accustomed to the comforts of middle-class life who are now relying on public assistance for the first time in their lives — potentially for years to come.
The stories are sad. So many people who were once able to take care of themselves can no longer do so. The jobs that are out there pay so little that many people who worked so hard for decades to own and take care of homes can not handle their bills.

-----

Our college graduates are moving back home with their families while they try to secure decent jobs and in many cases the families can use the extra income if their kids are lucky enough to even get a job. My son's out of college for 3 years and can barely get a call back on a job he would apply for. Turns out that hundreds or thousands of people are applying for each and every job. He couldn't even land a job at a supermarket. I couldn't get a job cutting fabric at a fabric store. Mind you, we don't even list our education on our resumes anymore. I'd kill for a municipal or union job. I'll rake leaves. Who cares?

The worst thing to come out of all this for my family is health care costs. I am not sickly (in fact I am quite active and feel fine) but my pharmaceutical bill each month exceeds the grocery bill for the whole family... and this is WITH supposed health care insurance that we pay through the nose for. The meds I take are preventing me from becoming incapacitated. Sometimes I wonder if I should just quit taking them, get ill and lay in bed all day or end up in the hospital since I am not working anyway. My mood is sinking and it's getting harder and harder to stay motivated.

No comments: