Search This Blog

Loading...

Tuesday, September 15

Patrick Swayze - Dead From Cancer at Age 57



I moved back to the States to finish my undergrad degree (UNC-G) shortly after the filming of 'Dirty Dancing'. As most of the movie was shot on or near Lake Lure in North Carolina - almost everyone in our professional theatre dept. had appeared in the film as either dancers or extras. Not a one had a bad word to say about Patrick. They simply adored him. On top of that – the man had a rep for total fidelity to his wife – not at all usual considering the times. I've heard much the same since then from other associates who had the good fortune to work with him: he was talented, he was a hard worker, he didn't screw around, and he was joyful on set.

I'm so sad that he's gone. I think 'Ghost' was my favorite of all his films. The less cynical side of me would like to think love is really like that – encompassing, transcendental. It certainly seems to have been for him. He and his wife Lisa were married for more than 30 years. I hope the light came for him as it did his character. RIP Patrick. My heartfelt condolences to your family and friends.

No comments: