Search This Blog

Loading...

Sunday, August 16

I couldn't imagine disowning my own child for just being who he is

I had the opportunity to spend the day with my uncle and his wife on Shelter Island yesterday. All I can say is that it was like a day in paradise. I need to go there more often.

I met a young man who is the "wife" of my gay cousin and we spent quite a bit of time floating on rafts in the lagoon and talking. It seems that he's from Texas and the son of some very "devout" Southern Baptist parents that I've been reading about. At one time, he was an ordained Baptist minister and even a homophobe... then he realized he was gay and came out. He was kicked out of the ministry and had his Baptisimal certificate taken away. Worse however was that his family disowned him and he ended up in NY City. Lucky for him, he met my cousin, was embraced and welcomed into a truly compassionate family who doesn't care what you do in the bedroom as long as you're a decent person.

For a "bible based" religion, the southern baptists are really missing the boat... homosexuality isn't even in the 10 commandments for gawd's sake. I still haven't found the part in the bible that says homosexuality is a grave offense and I majored in bible! "Family values" my foot.

It's true that man created god in his image.

No comments: