Search This Blog

Loading...

Monday, July 27

The Doctor of the future.....

will give no medicine, but will interest her or his patients in the care of the human frame, in a proper diet, and in the cause and prevention of disease.
~Thomas A. Edison
US inventor (1847 - 1931)


and it now looks like "The Doctor Of The Future" will be (already is, IMHO) our NEXT HEALTH CRISIS -- Physician shortage

I sure hope we see more availability to holistic, alternative, and homeopathic remedies.

I've sure had it with my General Practitioner. The last 3 times I needed an appointment, I could "wait 2-3 weeks or see the nurse this afternoon".

I REALLY LIKE THE NURSE!! She was most patient in trying to help me with my insomnia. I saw her a few times as we tried several drugs that I still can't pronounce. Nothing worked. One day I decided to go to Whole Paycheck -- I mean Whole Foods -- to see what was available in the way of natural remedies. I looked for one of the helpers (i.e. the hippie herbalist types they have roaming the isles) and we had a great conversation about sleep. He recommended an herbal cocktail (mostly valerian, seditol, lavender, hops, passion flower...) that I decided to try. Was kind of expensive ($27) for 30 softgels -- the dosage is 1-3 -- so I need a bottle and a half or so per month. Then I thought about the cost of all my "consultations" with the nurse. Three visits @ $35 co-pay plus all the money wasted on those drugs -- PLUS I wonder what my insurance company paid for the office visits and the drugs.

I'm really beginning to resent the huge premiums we are paying (hubby is about 50/50 with employer) because I really haven't benefited from ANY of the coverage I have. OK, I know -- that's why it's called "insurance" -- In case I get hit by that bus.

I really hope these 2000 pages of Health Care Reform have a lot written about "care of the human frame, a proper diet, and the cause and prevention of disease."

It's just one big mess that I don't think will ever get resolved.



Some related opinions:

Common Sense May Sink ObamaCare -- Peggy Noonan

Five Freedoms You'd Lose In Health Care Reform -- Shawn Tully - Editor at Large, Fortune

No comments: