Search This Blog

Loading...

Tuesday, January 20

39 words that make a President

"I do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States. So help me God"

Here are the last 13 Presidents taking the famous oath.



Happy O'nauguration Day Everyone!

Here's to President Obama PRESERVING, PROTECTING AND DEFENDING THE CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES.


(I'm also looking forward to Obama's Inauguration Day poem)
Picked to speak the words that will lead America from one age to another, Elizabeth Alexander, wisely gave little away beforehand. She dutifully noted that her "joy" at landing this job from the president-elect stems from "my deep respect for him as a man of meaningful, powerful words that move us forward". Listeners who hope for upbeat crowd-pleasing may wince at her statement that "poetry is not meant to cheer; rather, poetry challenges, and moves us towards transformation". But all will welcome one firm steer about today's verse: "I won't carry on at length."

No comments: