Search This Blog

Thursday, November 13

Racism hits home

I don't know what to make of all the stories of the overt racism I've been reading about. It appears that it's time to address that racism that is still alive and well in the good old USA. I hope it can be done peacefully.

I guess I have been living in a bubble because while I know that some of my acquaintances are not happy that a black man is president, they haven't dared to say out loud (to me anyway) that they wish anything bad to happen to him. What is upsetting is that most of the appalling behavior and garbage talk I have been reading about in the news is being perpetrated by children. And we all know where children learn their hatred.

Here's the latest offering: Idaho students chant 'assassinate Obama' on school bus: Report This has taken place in Madison Country, Idaho which is 98% white and overwhelmingly Mormon.

Here on very integrated Long Island, some shocking stories have been in the news lately too about redneck white trash in Suffolk County.
Ku Klux Klan literature dropped at Islip Terrace homes
Racial, sexual graffiti found on cars near Mastic homes
A group of teens murdered an Ecuadorian man in Patchogue.

My heart is broken. I had so hoped we were beyond this.

No comments: