Search This Blog

Monday, November 17

Obama tells CBS he will close Gitmo

Barack Obama was on 60 Minutes last night and assures us that he intends to close Guantanamo and will make sure that America doesn't torture. Hallelujah!

CBS: There are a number of different things you can do early on pertaining to executive orders.

OBAMA: Right.

CBS: One of them is to shut down Guantanamo Bay. Another is to change interrogation methods that are used by U.S. troops. Are those things that you plan to take early action on?

OBAMA: Yes. I have said repeatedly that I intend to close Guantanamo, and I will follow through on that. I have said repeatedly that America doesn’t torture, and I’m going to make sure that we don’t torture. Those are part and parcel of an effort to regain America’s moral stature in the world.
Thank God. I was one of those kids who grew up thinking that America was a great country and would always do the right thing. These last 8 years especially made me realize that I must have been living under a rock for all my life. My expectations are a lot lower now after these years of tasting fascism with every breath. I'm getting older now and would rather be pleasantly surprised at steps in the right direction than always pissed off when things don't live up to my high and exacting expectations. I've long given up on America being that shining beacon on the hill for the rest of the world, but if Obama wants to work to make America shine, then I am all for it and will be more than pleasantly surprised when things get brighter around here.

No comments: