Search This Blog

Monday, November 24

Monday Morning Musings

On Saturday I met my cousin for cocktails at a chain restaurant in a local mall (not my idea). What astounded me were the teaming masses of people who were shopping... so much so that there were literally no parking spaces- you had to follow people to their cars (I hate that.) At 4PM, the restaurant lines were out the doors into the mall. Shouldn't we be saving money?
______________

I was prophetic once. I worked for Citicorp for about 10 years in the 70's and 80's. I would sometimes deal with customers, when I first worked in the branches and fresh out of art school, who were afraid to put all their eggs in one basket and would ask me, "What if Citibank goes under?" My standard answer was, "If Citibank goes under, it will be part of a huge economic meltdown and that will probably be the least of your problems." On a side note, Citibank prided itself that they didn't have unions. Is that why they are getting bailed out?
______________

People who are very near and dear to me have lost their jobs or on the verge of losing their jobs. More people that I don't know are in the same boat. Newsday reported that 26,000 Long Island families can't afford turkey dinners for thanksgiving. That's up from 20,000 last year. I'm going turkey shopping today, although I think missing out on a turkey dinner is the tip of an iceberg.
______________

During the last recession, I was in the financial situation that I could help out people who were in dire straights. Man oh man, you lose more friends that way. Either they fall off the face of the earth or they turn around and kick you in the ass. I don't have the means to bail anyone out this recession, but I will be sure to contribute what I can anonymously to people I don't know.
______________

Obama worse than Bush? I don't think so.
______________

You get a chance to muse in the comments.

No comments: