Search This Blog

Thursday, July 10

More Drug Warnings


Yesterday I was reading the WSJ and found this article that listed more drugs which may cause suicidal thoughts. They are epilepsy drugs that can be used to treat depression.

"But now, some drugs designed to treat conditions ranging from depression to the compulsion to smoke cigarettes (Chantix) carry warnings that tell patients that they could experience "suicidality," the medical term for suicidal thoughts or behavior."

As per usual (whenever they come out with a list of drugs that could cause suicide) there were a total of 3 drugs that I take or have taken regularly on the list of new drugs which would need suicide warnings. It really explains a lot. Then I read further and saw that Singulair has a suicide warning. I know plenty of women on Lyrica for fibromyalgia and that has a suicide warning too.

Why am I still alive then? I recently had another bout of "suicidality," and could really come up with no good reason except that there was this underlying feeling of gloom that I found hard to take. I wonder if the cure is worse than the disease and how would I tell?

UPDATE: Majikthise has a good article Is depression killing your brain?
See also How Prozac sent the science of depression in the wrong direction at teh Boston Globe

No comments: