Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 3

Obama's Speech

As I sat and listened to Obama's speech tonight (I had read the leaked transcript a bit earlier), I started to tear up. Oratory has that power; even Bryan's "Cross of Gold" speech is still able to move. And don't get me started on King's speeches, please.

My Inner Bastard woke up. "Why these tears?" IB demanded.

They are tears of happiness, I judge; because now, now, ladies and gentlemen, I can truthfully say that the 20th Century has passed and the 21st Century has been well and truly born. An African-American is the Democratic nominee for President of the United States of America.

This is a moment of epiphany.

History has been made, and it's a whole new world.

I am thankful that I have lived long enough to see this moment, as I was old enough to see us walk upon the Moon.

My Inner Bastard quieted, because there's no rebuttal for this. Let come what may come; the future as always is swathed in shadows of uncertainty that would make Heisenberg goggle.

But at this point vierge, a new century has begun for America. May we prove worthy of its promise.

No comments: