Search This Blog

Friday, May 30

Red Has Questions

I like Puerto Rico. I've only visited there once, but I was pretty impressed. Like most Caribbean countries, there's a lot of natural beauty. I stayed out on the west coast in a little town called Rincon and had a fabulous time. The beaches were beautiful, and the whales migrate right off the coast during March. A lot of Surfer Eddies from Florida head down there during the winter months because the waves are good. There's also not so much of the grinding poverty one sees in many Caribbean countries (e.g., Jamaica, USVI, Haiti). And speaking of beauty, Puerto Ricans as a population have to be the most beautiful people I've ever seen, men and women both. Gorgeous! And very friendly.

So, I am curious about this whole Puerto Rico primary on Sunday. Why, exactly, does Puerto Rico get a say in who the Democratic presidential nominee will be? I'm not being snarky here; I really don't know the answer to the question. Puerto Rico doesn't get to vote in the presidential contest, so it's curious to me that they should vote for the nominee. (Guam too for that matter.) And why do Puerto Rico and Guam get to vote, but not the US Virgin Islands?

Also, why does Puerto Rico get 55 Democratic delegates, while poor South Dakota, which actually does award electoral college votes in the presidential election, gets only 15 delegates? I assume the number of delegates is based on population (Puerto Rico has more than South Dakota), but don't know for certain. If I were South Dakota or Montana (which only has 16 delegates), I would feel seriously dissed.

Anyone know historically how it came to be that Guam and Puerto Rico get to vote in the primaries? Also, and I ask this with all due respect, why is it that we care who their preference is, when they don't have a vote in the "real" election?

No comments: