Search This Blog

Sunday, January 20

Microsoft seeks patent for office 'spy' software

TOM???...you have GOT to be kidding me. This is a spoof - right? I know I'm up early again but...this can't be real.(Tom left the link to the story below following my comment and link in Liz's REALITY CHECK post below)


Woof! Woof, Woof, Woof, WOOOOOOOOOF!!
Microsoft is developing Big Brother-style software capable of remotely monitoring a worker’s productivity, physical wellbeing and competence.

The Times has seen a patent application filed by the company for a computer system that links workers to their computers via wireless sensors that measure their metabolism. The system would allow managers to monitor employees’ performance by measuring their heart rate, body temperature, movement, facial expression and blood pressure


Well, let me tell you.....

if this is true, it appears that I have quit my job just in time!
I began having mouse issues a few weeks ago when I started working at the cube with the touch pad thing instead of a mouse. I wonder how Management would have responded to my frustrations that day -- it wasn't pretty.

THEN, the other day, they decided to hook into that instant messenger IM screen thing to "communicate" more efficiently with each other. Saves a lot of time instead of poking your head up over your cube to make human contact to ask your co-worker a question (where's happy hour tonight?). They didn't like my idea of assigning different "bung" tones to each cube. I was leading a pretty good version of Mr. Sandman just to pick things up one morning...bung, bung, bung, bung, bung, bung, bung, bung, bung, bung, bung, bung,

if we had one more person, we could have done it!!

Oh boy I got out just in time. I know there are millions of benefits to technology and I probably should have conformed a long time ago because it's pretty hard finding an office with a typewriter these days. I was so frustrated one day trying to "snail mail" and item. I can't believe how long it took me to produce a label for an envelope compared to rolling it into my old IBM Selectric. This office didn't even have stationary. I had to start my own roladex. Nobody knew what a tickler file was. I was happy to learn word processing years ago though. We could have stopped there with the technology as far as I'm concerned.

Oh well, it's time for a career change. The office just ain't what it used to be.

Here's a few good computer technology reads from timesonline:
White bread for young minds, says university professor

Google is “white bread for the mind”, and the internet is producing a generation of students who survive on a diet of unreliable information, a professor of media studies will claim this week.

Doris Lessing, the digital divide, and cat videos
As digital technology – and fears about its effects – increasingly define us, it’s hard to separate the virtues from the vices.


I think I'll just fine tune my Guitar skills in the meantime!
Watch Conan annoy his writing staff while they’re playing Rock Band, then sings The Beastie Boys’ “Sabatoge”, as Edith Bunker.
(the kids pooled their money last year and got Guitar Hero - it's quite addicting)

No comments: