Search This Blog

Monday, October 29

Qien es mas mucho? Fred o Rudy?

I'm a rambler, I'm a gambler, I'm a long way from home
If you don't like me, Just leave me alone
I eat when I'm hungry I drink when I'm dry
If moonshine don't kill me, I'll live till I die
-The Moonshiner by the Clancy Brothers

So anyway, I couldn't get this song out of my head after reading the headlines at Huffington Post, "Thompson: I Prosecuted Most Of The Major Crimes In Middle Tennessee", I clicked on the link and found this fascinating story at the LA Times: Fred Thompson vs. the moonshiners
He was "attacking crime and public corruption," boasts a video played at his campaign events. During a candidate debate this month, Thompson said he spent those years "prosecuting most of the major federal crimes in middle Tennessee -- most of the major ones."
Out of his 88 cases he prosecuted in the U.S. attorney's office in Nashville, from 1969 to 1972, 27 of his cases involved moonshining. Many other cases according to the article were routine: gambling, mail theft and, in one instance, talking dirty on CB radio. While the article is rather disparaging of Thompson, I found it quite interesting nevertheless- his rise into Republican politics (which looked like no big deal actually,) and the liberal judge he was up against.

I also didn't know a whole lot about moonshining before reading it except from what I got from songs and Burt Reynolds movies- although I knew that we wouldn't have NASCAR today if it weren't for the "major criminals" in Tennessee. I'm not knocking what Thompson did for a living during those times but I really think that being in competition with Rudy Giuliani for the presidential nominee, he ought to play down his time fighting crime in central Tennessee because Rudy Giuliani clearly beats him in "coolness" by going after the mafia in New York.

Neither one of them quelled the crimes in their states. We still have the mafia in NY and moonshining faded because of the sharp rise in sugar in the 70's and the popularity of marijuana (musician's choice).

Check out the truth about Rudy at the Village Voice. His secret 9/11 testimony isn't supposed to be released until after the elections of 2008 but it's online. Mr Nine-Eleven didn't know sh*t. His speeches contradict the truth... like that's a big surprise.

No comments: