Search This Blog

Friday, September 7

Now That's What I'm Talking About

I'm sick of the off-shoring of American jobs to China. I'm sick of cheap, crappy goods from China. I'm sick of the WalMarts and the Targets and the K-Marts who drive down their employees' wages by selling cheap, crappy goods from China. I'm sick of hearing about animals and children being poisoned by cheap, crappy good from China. I'm sick of hearing how the earth is being poisoned by rapid industrialization in China so that the Chinese can produce and sell more cheap, crappy goods to the US. I'm sick of the standard of living in the good ole US of A being driven down to Third World standards so that Joe Average can buy a flat screen teevee made in China for a few dollars less than one made in this country.

It's damned hard, and sometimes impossible, not to buy goods manufactured in China. I try to buy American whenever possible, but we've come to a point at which you often can't find a particular item still made in the US.

How did we ever let it get to this?

Free trade is a good idea in theory, but it's bleeding this country to death. We've long since gone from being a producer nation to being a consumer nation. I'm no economist, but it seems to me that in such circumstance, so-called free trade no longer benefits the US. If the government won't protect American jobs, the environment, public health and our standard of living, it's up to the us, the consumers, to protect ourselves.

So, check that label. Buy American. You'll probably get a higher quality product, it won't have been produced by slave labor or in a sweat shop, to a greater extent it will have been produced without horrible adverse effects on the environment, and maybe, just maybe, you will have put some fellow American back to work.

No comments: