Search This Blog

Sunday, November 19

The battle against cynicysm

MY battle with cynicysm began a few days ago. I watched this video
via GOD

It's about Billy Bragg singing a protest song in the lobby of the AFL-CIO during a Get Out the Vote rally. ... in 2002.

The song is called "It's 'All About the Price of Oil'
Before he sings, he first reminds his audience that the we need to take charge.

"Take charge -- we have the power, and the economy to do this. -- we need to act responsibily WITH OTHER PEOPLE to make the world a better place.

We need to bring back the great american tradition of barn raising!!!

and our enemy in doing this is not capitalism or conservatism, it is, frighteningly, ....cynicism. We've got to overcome people's cynicysm of the ability of nations to act together and act responsibly for the good of everyone. It's what is letting the rush's of this world get away with what they get away with. Cynicysm is what is making the vote go down what's killing the turnout and we're battling against cynicysm in favor of participation and were' battling against war..........."

Well, call me a cynic, I guess.

Maybe I should try to ease up a bit on the cynicysm? You know, get more serious...

But I'm in such good company:
George Bernard Shaw (who pops up frequently), Oscar Wilde (ditto), and Shakespeare, and Mae West....H.L. Mencken

OK, maybe I should rein in a bit? Lately, I can sometimes vision myself actually reverting, and becoming one of the 'early day cynics' as I grow more and more frustrated trying to understand WTF our fearless leaders of the world are doing every day. WOOF WOOF

I found that Cynics have their own FABULOUS WEBSITE
They believed that virtue was the greatest good. But they took it a step further than the old master, who would merely challenge unsuspecting folks to good-natured debates and let their own foolishness trip them up.

The Cynics were more blunt when it came to exposing foolishness. They'd hang out in the streets like a pack of dogs ("Cynic" comes from the Greek word for dog), watch the passing crowd, and ridicule anyone who seemed pompous, pretentious, materialistic or downright wicked. Fiercely proud of their independence, they led disciplined and virtuous lives. The most famous of the ancient Cynics was Diogenes, who reportedly took up residence in a tub to demonstrate his freedom from material wants. This cranky street-philosopher would introduce himself by saying, "I am Diogenes the dog. I nuzzle the kind, bark at the greedy and bite scoundrels." He'd use a lantern by daylight, explaining that he was searching for an honest man. Even Alexander the Great didn't escape unscathed. When the young conqueror found Diogenes sitting in the marketplace and asked how he could help him, the old philosopher replied that "you can step out of my sunlight."

Yeah, and lately, I have much more contempt for people, and more concern for mankind as a whole. (I have been spending a lot of time in the pool, tub, etc. lately) I better watch out...

Hmmmm......so, shall I TAKE CHARGE and lead the battle against cynicysm??

Oh, I have a drumbeat in my head already, and the PERFECT Video to lead us on our way......

No comments: