(cross-posted at the Dark Wraith Discussion Forums)
By Paul J. Gough
NEW YORK (Hollywood Reporter) - "Former CBS News anchor Dan Rather said Monday that there is a climate of fear running through newsrooms stronger than he has ever seen in his more than four-decade career.
"Rather famously tangled with President Nixon and his aides during the Watergate years while Rather was a hard-charging White House correspondent.
"Addressing the Fordham University School of Law in Manhattan, occasionally forcing back he intervening years, politicians "of every persuasion" had gotten better at applying pressure on the conglomerates that own the broadcast networks. He called it a "new journalism order."
"He said this pressure -- along with the "dumbed-down, tarted-up" coverage, the advent of 24-hour cable competition and the chase for ratings and demographics -- has taken its toll on the news business. "All of this creates a bigger atmosphere of fear in newsrooms," Rather said.
The entire article can be read at Breitbart.com.
Some additional thoughts:
When did the constitutional republic known as the United States begin to die?
1. With the establishment of the first stock exchange in Philadelphia in 1790?
2. With the "purchase" of the Louisiana Territory which had been stolen from the Native Americans by the French?
3. When the U.S. invaded Mexico?
4. When Prescott Bush financed the Nazi Party?
5. When a "lone assassin" who was also a C.I.A. agent killed John Kennedy?
6. When Dan Rather, after 40 years as a good-little-boy journalist, retired and decided that NOW he wasn't going to be a chickenshit any more?