Commandment 6: Exodus 20:6. You shall not kill.
This commandment is open to all sorts of interpretation. We all know that we shouldn't kill other people... well unless they killed someone we love and they go to the gas chamber, or we're at war with them and stuff like that.
Our laws include murder as a crime. So we finally get to a commandment that we can find in our law books. It's probably illegal to kill others around the world and even in countries that are not official "christian countries" such as ours. The commandment isn't clear about what not to kill. We are assuming it's other people. I hope it doesn't include fruits, vegetables, steak, pork chops, chicken wings and woast wabbit.
We are going to have to look in other parts of Exodus and my favorite, Leviticus to see whom it's ok to kill since the commandment is very vague. And after we take a quick look at that, we'll see that we certainly do not follow the bible when it comes to whom we should kill or not kill.
It's perfectly ok for God to kill others in the Old Testament. (People who have achieved the age of reason understand that the Old Testament regards just about everything bad that happens, in the natural world that God created for us, has the stamp of God's wrath on it.) God was mad at Sodom and Gomorrah and killed everyone except the righteous Lot and his 2 daughters who eventually got him drunk, had sex with him and got knocked up. Lot was good enough to offer the rapists his daughters so that he wouldn't seem inhospitable to his guests. We know that God killed almost everyone in the world except Noah and friends as well. He also sent a plague to Egypt to kill the children. God also dashes people to pieces with his right hand.
If you say that God told you to kill someone, except if you are george bush, you will most likely be charged with murder. God doesn't mind if you kill someone for him as a burnt offering as evidenced by Genesis 22:2.
Here are a just a few more excuses to kill people according the Exodus:
- A child who hits or curses his parents must be executed. 21:15, 17 (we don't have this law.)
- If an ox gores someone, then both the ox and its owner must die. 21:28-29
- "Whosoever lieth with a beast shall surely be put to death." 22:19 (I know goat fucking is against the law in some places, isn't it? I don't know about execution for such a crime. Seems a bit harsh.)
- "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live." 22:18 (It used to be against the law to be a witch in America.)
- Ye shall keep the sabbath therefore; for it is holy unto you: every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death : 31:14
- "For every one that curseth his father or his mother shall surely be put to death." 20:9
- Both parties in adultery shall be executed. 20:10
- If a man has sex with his father's wife, kill them both. 20:11
- If a man "lies" with his daughter-in-law, then both must be killed. 20:12
- If a man has sex with another man, kill them both. 20:13
- If you "lie" with your wife and your mother-in-law , then all three of you must be burned to death. 20:14
- If a man or woman "lie with a beast" both the person and the poor animal are to be killed. 20:15-16
- People with "familiar spirits" (witches, fortune tellers, etc.) are to be stoned to death. 20:27
- 24:13 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,
- 24:14 Bring forth him that hath cursed without the camp; and let all that heard him lay their hands upon his head, and let all the congregation stone him .
- 24:16 And he that blasphemeth the name of the LORD, he shall surely be put to death, and all the congregation shall certainly stone him : as well the stranger, as he that is born in the land, when he blasphemeth the name of the Lord, shall be put to death.
- 24:17 And he that killeth any man shall surely be put to death.
- 24:18 And he that killeth a beast shall make it good; beast for beast.
- 24:19 And if a man cause a blemish in his neighbour; as he hath done, so shall it be done to him;
- 24:20 Breach for breach, eye for eye, tooth for tooth : as he hath caused a blemish in a man, so shall it be done to him again. We'd be breached, bald and toothless if still was the law of the land.
- 24:21 And he that killeth a beast, he shall restore it: and he that killeth a man, he shall be put to death.
- 24:22 Ye shall have one manner of law, as well for the stranger, as for one of your own country: for I am the LORD your God.
- 24:23 And Moses spake to the children of Israel, that they should bring forth him that had cursed out of the camp, and stone him with stones. And the children of Israel did as the LORD commanded Moses.
Who has proof that our laws are based on the bible? What the hell do the 10 Commandments have to do America? This country wouldn't be very populous if the commandments were the law of the land.
Stay tuned for more blonde logic.