Search This Blog

Monday, January 31

The Iraqi Elections

It warmed my heart to see so many Iraqi's go to the polls and cast a vote despite how very difficult it must have been to defy the insurgents and possibly risk death. According to my readings this morning, it appears that many Iraqi's were under the impression that they were electing a new president and that once they voted, a democracy would happen and the Americans would go away. Not quite.

They didn't vote for a new president and the Americans aren't leaving. I admire their courage to go and vote despite all the threats and men with machine guns out in the streets. I hope that they didn't think that they would just go and vote and that Iraq would be rebuilt and they'd get their oil back. The U.S. is now saying that Iran is an imminent threat. I don't know what else to say.

No comments: