Search This Blog

Monday, August 30

Show us what democracy looks like!

More Bitchin'

by pissed off patricia


Many emotions circled around in me as I watched the protesters yesterday in New York. I had hoped there would be lots and lots and there sure were. When the cameras panned down the street and I saw that sea of people that seemed to reach into next week, I was amazed and excited. Then they started to march and chant and wave signs and you know what? I realized that I was crying. I think what made me cry was the realization that there were that many people from all over the US, and they thought just like I think. Maybe that's what a little lost whale feels like when it finds its own pod. Whatever, it felt so good.

Then as they marched in front of the Fox news studio they verbally expressed their, to put it politely, displeasure with Fox news. They even went so far as to leave little messages on the roadway for the Fox folks. The message was suggesting that intercourse was the proper action for Fox.

There was one lady protester who wore nothing above her waist but two little golden patches appropriately placed to cover two other little places on her breasts. I'm not sure what that was about but I hope she used a lot of sunscreen all around those two little golden patches.

Then the green dragon deal caught fire. The cops and firemen put out the fire and the march continued. (pictures)

The last group in the march carried lots and lots of cardboard, death-sized caskets draped in American flags. Pretty impressive display and pretty damn well on the mark, I might add.

So, did the giant protest march accomplish anything? Did it change any minds? I doubt it. But it sure did make the rest of us feel good to know that we aren't alone in our anger and confusion. It let us know that we aren't the only ones who are mad as hell, and the peacefulness of the march reaffirmed that we are good people who don't accept bad things. Another thing the march did was to show the rest of the world that not all Americans endorse what our country has become over the past four years. It told the world that not all Americans are war loving, lying, money-hungry, heartless pieces of shit. I think sending that message was important.

If anyone who attended that march yesterday reads this, thank you so very much. You really did show us what democracy looks like.

No comments: