Search This Blog

Monday, March 29

Republicans Own the Bible! You hear?


Oh Dear. The current White House owns the Bible. Just as I thought.
I just read in the NY Times that John Kerry was speaking at New North Side Baptist church in St Louis, Missouri area and actually had the unmitigated gall to quote the scripture because as we all know, the Republicans, particularly the POTUS are the sole keepers of the Bible and know where or when to use it. Let us also understand that Bush is of the Born Again Christian persuasion and Kerry is Catholic. These do not mix.

{Here is an example of the welcome we received when my son went to Born Again Christian Bible Camp about 10 years ago: "Welcome! I haven't seen you at services before, are you new to the community?" "Well no, we belong to St Brigid's parish." "Oh. I see. Well we're saved"}

Well I digressed again.. but let's get back to our story, shall we?
"Kerry never mentioned Bush by name during his speech at New North Side Baptist Church, but aimed his criticism at "our present national leadership." Kerry cited Scripture in his appeal for the worshippers, including James 2:14, "What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds?"

"The Scriptures say, what does it profit, my brother, if someone says he has faith but does not have works?" Kerry said. "When we look at what is happening in America today, where are the works of compassion?"

Bush campaign spokesman Steve Schmidt said Kerry's comment "was beyond the bounds of acceptable discourse and a sad exploitation of Scripture for a political attack."

I think John Kerry used a rather nice quote from the Bible and since the Bible is all the rage in Amurka I don't see the problem from the Republicans. I have a problem with the Bible but I didn't realize that the Republicans were that sure that only they had the right to use the Bible and God in their politicizing.
"Nicolle Devenish, a Bush spokeswoman, said Mr. Kerry was ``walking a fine line'' by campaigning in a church, adding, ``I think that's a sacred thing.''''

Wait a minute, wait a minute... there go the Bush people speaking on behalf of God again. Yet in January, did not the Preznit speak in Union Bethel A.M.E Church in New Orleans back in January?
"At Union Bethel, in a speech laced with religious references - and at a meeting with community leaders -- Bush renewed his push to open more federal spending on social programs to religious groups.

He said he church's many efforts -- such as feeding the homeless, teaching neighborhood children karate and running a day-care center -- are a perfect example of the kind of programs the federal government should fund. "

Um, er... whaaaaa? What's with this double standard? How come it's ok for Bush to go to a church and speak and not Kerry? I have been thumbing through my Bible all morning trying to find references to "teaching children karate". Where does he come up with this stuff? I studied karate but for the life of me, I don't see how the government wants to fund faith based initiatives that are comprised of teaching kids karate? Feeding poor people- check. Day care centers -check. Karate -nah.. nah ganna doit.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

While I am on my favorite subject of religion.... It seems that even Jehovah's Witnesses are being accused of sexual abuses formerly reserved for Catholics. I hope they handle it better than the Catholics did. I really hope so.

No comments: