Search This Blog

Saturday, February 28

The Passion Sparks Passion


I saw Mel Gibson's Passion the first day it came out at 1:30 in the afternoon. That was the closest thing to religion I have accomplished since my mom's funeral prep almost 3 years ago which totally turned me off cause her Church wouldn't even play some songs that she wanted because they weren't hymns. oy. Even she was pissed the year before that when my Dad died and they would play Saints or Danny Boy. sheesh. She belonged to such a Republican parish. They had money. I belonged to a more Democratic parish. We had minorities in my parish. We had to be Democratic. Of course I hadn't attended my church in ages cause I was mad at them for being hypocrites but that's another story.

The other firsts for me were that I don't think I have ever seen a movie on it's first day out, I hardly ever go to the movies, I never see war movies- ever and I hate bloody gory movies. So I went against everything I stand for.

When I say I watched most of this movie through my fingers because my hands were over my face for most of this movie, I am not kidding. It was like watching a car accident. What on earth compelled me to partake in this cinematic bloodbath? The hype? I am not one for hype. The anti-semitism? Nah although I suspected that it was overblown (which it was). The controversy? Perhaps. That is more my speed.

I think what sparked my interest in the movie was the ADL or JDL. They were accusing the movie of sparking anti-semitism among Christians. I had to see this for myself. I saw it and I didn't think so. I didn't think it was any more anti-semite sparking than the actual bible story. I didn't take the bible story as anti-jew though because I took the whole story in it's context and I understood that the whole death and resurrection thing had to happen and the whole thing made sense and I never gave it another thought.

I think that the Rabbi's whining about it on TV sparked more controversy than the movie did. Now Mel Gibson's father's comments probably set the Catholic Church back 1000 years.. not to mention some shaky relations between some Christians and some Jews. I was appalled that the media even gave that crazy man the time of day and air time and press coverage. I don't think that hate speech should be given any press... freedom of speech or not. It's just irresponsible.

Ok, back to the gory movie experience. The audience consisted of older folks with ashes on their heads denoting that they were mostly mainline christians. They were silent on the way in and silent and reverent on the way out. It was like Church. I heard lots of gasps during the movie. I personally did not watch the actual crucifixion where they nailed Jesus to the cross. The sound effects were gross enough for me.

I read this in the news yesterday. This cracked me up.

"According to Rabbi Feldman "Under Section 802 of the 2001 USA Patriot Act, any crime which endangers human life is defined as an act of domestic terrorism. Mel Gibson's incitement of anti-Semitism is a civil disobedience crime which endangers human life and under the Patriot Act "The Passion" is an act of domestic terrorism" "

Sorry Rabbi Feldman, but see how far you are going to get with Super Duper Uber-Christian John Ashcroft. I believe that John Ashcroft makes us all look like heathens who are hell bound plus this is the most ridiculous charge I have seen to date. I'm afraid of fundies just as much as the good Rabbi, but I think cooler heads will prevail and there will be no rioting or looting in the name of Jesus Christ... at least I hope not.